N57 fragen (Englisch)

• With the 5 Series cars, count on the worst when you are out of warranty. There is less you can fix on your own when you not have the proper tools and software. My recommendation: 3 years or older, get rid of it. 530 Series and its engine is still the best in class, everything else...pray or pay.

Well I see you have (or used to) a 550i with the dissaster engine N63 so there is not a big suprise that you have this mindset.

People say this about everything after the E39 era, but I can't say I agree. It's not as difficult as you say. Despite not owning one, I am a bit familiar with F10, and know people who also are familiar with them so it's not a big issue. I was just more curious about N57 specifically.

I own E90 LCI without warranty, and no big dissaster has happened ;)

Mhm - we expected, as always, no other sentence from you ;)

@TE only for your information - he's a gloomster.

Yes I understand what type of person he is. There is always some of them in any forum..

And usually, his posts aren't worth the space that is wasted on the website ;)

:D:D

My impression is, that failures with 3Liter 204hp and the 245/258hp are very rare. The issues are mostly with the 313hp but still very seldom.

Yes I hope it is true. I haven't seen many failures myself, but I still think it can be because of the high number of N47 cars here. More common, more failures etc.

313hp is 535d? The extra turbo causes issues? I wonder how bad the M550d is then :P

Anyway, seems strange that CP4 pump failure is less common in Germany compared to Norway.

• At the twin-turbo setups (25d Inline 4 and 35d inline 6) in many cases the little turbo fails, but as always - it's not the rule ;)

In fact - I never read about any turbo failure at any 50d ?(
    Maybe they are so rare, that nobody cares :P

I had a E39 myself for a very long time. And I can tell you: quality is quite different, maybe a bit cheaper, but the F10 outperforms the Mercedes W212 and Audi A6 (C7 ...?).
    You get used to and after a while, the F10 arrives at the point of luxury, comfort and sportiness of the E39 :D

• At the twin-turbo setups (25d Inline 4 and 35d inline 6) in many cases the little turbo fails, but as always - it's not the rule ;)

In fact - I never read about any turbo failure at any 50d ?(
    Maybe they are so rare, that nobody cares :P

I had a E39 myself for a very long time. And I can tell you: quality is quite different, maybe a bit cheaper, but the F10 outperforms the Mercedes W212 and Audi A6 (C7 ...?).
    You get used to and after a while, the F10 arrives at the point of luxury, comfort and sportiness of the E39 :D

No I mean if the extra turbo(s) put extra stress on the internal components of the engine since you guys say 535d fail more often.

Yes it seems that often the small turbo fail, even on old 35d M57 engine in previous generation.

I know, I have owned E34, E38 and E39 before the E90 and there is definitely a difference. But at the same time I do not feel that cars after E39 era is as bad as many people say they are.

I think the "biggest" difference for me will be that I am going from hydraulic power steering to electric. But it's something I will quickly forget :)

I have driven several F10/11 before, both petrol and diesel and I know I like them :) I have also driven W212 and A6 Allroad C7, both V6 diesel. They are nice, but I feel more at home with BMW ;)

• N57 530d do not have the same internals, as N57 35d's.
    The motorcode says enough (N57D30A - 530D vs N57D30B - 535D) :P

35d's got stronger internals with higher quality that can take up the extra heat and power easily.
    The engine as a whole part does not fail - the little turbo is the problem.

The biggest difference from E39 to F10 was for me the longer wheel base of the F10. The car feels completely different.
    I can drive with the F10 at least 10km/h more in corners, as I did with the E39.

• Ah. I am more used to the A and B being improvements (like with N47D20A and N47D20C) :D

Oh, I thought I saw some topics here about 535d being more prone to engine failure than 530d. But I guess it was something else.

Yes I know. I think with me having owned a short wheelbase E38 I should be somewhat used to it. F10 wheelbase is only 40mm longer. I have driven F01 7-series before as well. Big cars. :D

F10 handles well :) I'm hoping to find one without Integral Active Steering, but I have noticed that alot of cars have this option.

• Well you are clearly not here to help, nor have you read much of what I've said..

I am not new to the world of BMW. And I did write here because most international (English speaking) forums are mostly American based, and America does not have much experience with the diesel engines.

My question was specifically about the N57 engine, not about the cars in general.

You seem to only be here to troll and derail the topic.

If I want to buy a newer car with zero issues, I will probably end up in a boring Toyota, that's not what I want.

BMW has some issues, yes. But so does Audi, so does Mercedes and so on..

The person in link 2 seems to forget that many parts are not designed by BMW but sourced by companies like Bosch.

Most issues are known by now, some there are things you can do to prevent it since there are now info by others.

If you dislike BMW so much, why own one and be here?

• Yes, the US does not like the Diesels too much because their Diesel regulations are too strictly to be sold there in most states. They are right btw.

Here is also a good source of information about the N57 engine and there is plenty out there on google in general:
    http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk/n57.html
    http://prestige-german-engines…bmw-timing-chain-failure/

Why I still own a BMW? Because my wife says I can afford one. But it is not my only car sitting in my garage and I do not drive it too much anymore. Just scared I not make it home anymore.

In the meantime I can not recommend to buy German cars anymore, and yes - a Toyota Hybrid is a better choice. No scaming of owners there.
    When you still stick with BMW in the future, look for a 530 (instead of 535) because like with the 3 Liter Benz engines those are most reliable. Forget Audi.

Good luck.

• US is weird.

That first link is a joke.

Picture description says "N57 3.0 twin turbo in an X5", while the picture shows an N55B30.

Then further down they talk about N47 and N57, but they say M47 and M57 instead.

That's a weird reason. But you are clearly controlled by your wife.

Better choice? Ha.. Maybe for reliability and MPG. For everything else, not at all.