N57 fragen (Englisch)

• First, I apologize for using English in a German forum, because my German knowledge is very small. The English speaking F10 forums seems to be mostly American, which means little to no knowledge about the diesel engines. So I have to ask here. :/

I currently have E90 3-series with M57 engine, but I have been thinking about selling it and buying F10 or F11 525d 204ps, or 530d 245ps if I can find one for a good price. Because I really love the look of these cars.

But I see all this talk about timing chain, high pressure diesel pump (Bosch CP4) and even oil pump. X/

Is it really that bad? Will I experience all this if I buy one? I know N47 is worse, and I see people saying the N57 have lower risk due to being 6 cylinder and having much more oil.

I personally take good care of my cars. Oil change every 10-15.000km, drive calm when car is cold, let the car idle after driving to let the turbo cool down. But sadly many owners follow the 30,000km interval from BMW :(

I hope someone can answer :) If English is not allowed, please remove post!

• If there are no weird rattling noises from the timing chain, knocking noises etc. and the engine is running fine without dropouts, the N57 is certainly a good choice.
    My fathers X5 E70 has the 245hp 30d N57 and it has been running smooth for 180k km so far without any problems. These engines can last for a long time, as long as you take care of them.
    By the way - the N47 isn't too bad anyway. Some people experience problems, but in general, the do what they should.

• Hello!

The N57 engine is not that bad. Oil pump breaks sometimes, but that's not the rule. Only a hand full of people (under 5) in this forum had that problem.

Timing chain is not a problem with the 3 litre engine. Mostly 20d's are affected.
    If you get a F10 w/ an auto transmission, you do not have to worry about the timing chain. The ones that have a manual transmission have that issue (in case it might happen)

CP4-Pump is not a common problem. Even with the chipped 30d's

If you buy a F10 with the N57 you're doing everything right ;)

Regards :)

• If there are no weird rattling noises from the timing chain, knocking noises etc. and the engine is running fine without dropouts, the N57 is certainly a good choice.
    My fathers X5 E70 has the 245hp 30d N57 and it has been running smooth for 180k km so far without any problems. These engines can last for a long time, as long as you take care of them.
    By the way - the N47 isn't too bad anyway. Some people experience problems, but in general, the do what they should.

Sounds good. I see both positive and negative about these engines so it just makes me wonder who and what to believe :D
    If it can handle moving a big E70 it should do fine with F10 ;)

Maybe not, but I see alot of negative with N47 here in my country. But to be fair, alot of it is early D20A in E-series BMW. Only a couple timing chain failures on F3x and F1x. But I have no interest in that. 4 cylinder is just not for me :)

I saw one guy here with 525d 204ps, he had oil pump failure on a low mileage car. This was the first time I have heard about this, and some person said that if we checked German forums we would see that the 3 liter also had much issues like the 2 liter.

About timing chain, this is not what I have read. Most say that 3 liter also have this issue, but it happens later than 2 liter. Maybe past 200.000km. I'm looking at cars with maybe 100.000km (give or take 20.000).
    Yes, I am looking for one with automatic. I don't think manual suits the F10.

I will also code start stop function to always be OFF. From what I've understood, the starting process is usually the worst for timing chain.

As for CP4 pump, it seems to be a somewhat common problem here. Maybe its our diesel that's bad? It seems more common on 2 liters. But there was sold much more 2 liters than 3 liters here so that's probably why.

I hear to get this repaired after CP4 failure can cost up to 10k euro at BMW workshop. It can most likely be done cheaper at independent workshop, but still will cost alot.

I see some people suggesting adding one tiny dose of 2 stroke oil in dieseltank when filling up the tank to help lubricate the diesel system. And other suggest additives like Tunap 984.

Yes I think N57 will be the best choise. Needs 6 cylinders :thumbup:

• The 3 litre engine makes wayyy less problems than the 2 litre.
    If you look after 20d's f.e. you will see, that mostly only MY2010 and 2011 are affected.

MY2012+ don't have that problem anymore.

30d's are very are very robust.

According to the additives: there is no scientific proof that the LiquiMolly Oil, added to Diesel, is the best for the engine.
    But the experience is, that the engine runs smoother and the injectors are cleaner compared to cars that did not have any Additive.

• I hope so, but I think I never will be 100% convinced. I will probably buy one, but still be nervous :whistling:

Well, I have seen a couple 2012 too. One F30 320d with 120,000km had timing chain failure. And now recently two 2012 520d with ticking noise from the chain. So they have not failed yet, but they are making noise so it should be replaced.

As for CP4 failure it seems to have be 100% random. It can happen at 80.000km, or it can happen at 280.000km.

Well smooth running and clean injectors isn't really my main concern. It is the diesel pump itself :) But I guess I will just have to be prepared for it if it happens.

Due to being used to having tuned E90, I will probably get F10 tuned as well. Hopefully that won't do things worse.

• Every car can always break down at any mileage. If you are afraid of that fact, you shouldn't buy any car :D
    No, seriously - the 3L R6 Diesel engines are quite robust. I didn't see a single one with a fuel pump failure here in Germany. I thinks it's a matter of diesel quality - where are you from?

• Every car can always break down at any mileage. If you are afraid of that fact, you shouldn't buy any car :D
    No, seriously - the 3L R6 Diesel engines are quite robust. I didn't see a single one with a fuel pump failure here in Germany. I thinks it's a matter of diesel quality - where are you from?

Hehe, that is true. But when thinking about how the M57 in general have pretty good reputation, and then you see all the negative talk about N engines you begin to wonder :D

I really hope so. I do get the impression that they are better than the 2L R4 atleast :) I'm from Norway. I do have to say that most of the failures I see are on cars with N47. Both E6x and F1x, and occationally 3 series and X series.

I haven't seen many 3L with this failure. But like I said before, it may be because there is sold so many 2L compared to 3L. They all use CP4, even if its a different variant. I think also the new B47 and B57 use CP4.

N47 use CP4.1, N57 use CP4.2 ?(

• With the 5 Series cars, count on the worst when you are out of warranty. There is less you can fix on your own when you not have the proper tools and software. My recommendation: 3 years or older, get rid of it. 530 Series and its engine is still the best in class, everything else...pray or pay.