Unterschied zwischen LED- und Xenon-Scheinwerfern

• As previous speakers have already said, the LCI has adaptive high beam assist. It masks the oncoming traffic and works like a charme, i am very impressed. :)

Exactly. I compared the LCI adaptive xenons multiple times to LEDs at night and noticed that the xenons actually activated the (partial) high beams more frequently than the LEDs. I'm happy that I found the 535d w/o LEDs 8)

aktuell: 2015 BMW F11 535d Touring, 2005 BMW E61 530i Touring 6-Gang Schalter, 2011 Cadillac CTS-V
    gone: 1991 Pontiac Trans Am GTA 5,0l, 2001 BMW E39 530i 5-Gang Touring, 1996 Pontiac Firebird WS6 5,7l 6-Gang, 1995 Chevrolet Impala SS 5,7l, 1998 BMW E39 540i 6-Gang 4,4l Limo, 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA Notchback 5-Gang 5,0l, 1990 Chevrolet Corvette C4 5,7l, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4,7l

• You can't compare the Lumen from LED vs Xenon because LED's are mesasured directly in front of the lens whereas Xenon's are measured in a certain distance to the headlights.

This is why the technical data of Xenon is always lower although the lumen are in fact higher when measured in the same way.

I don't like LED, because there are "dark spots" whereas with Xenon the illumination is very even and consistent.
    Probably with newer LED-systems this will get better.

• Exactly my perception of the F11 lighting systems.

I recently had the brand new A6 (which is quite horrible) where I really liked the headlights although they were matrix LEDs. No purple at the edges of lit areas, much more even lighting and no flickering.

aktuell: 2015 BMW F11 535d Touring, 2005 BMW E61 530i Touring 6-Gang Schalter, 2011 Cadillac CTS-V
    gone: 1991 Pontiac Trans Am GTA 5,0l, 2001 BMW E39 530i 5-Gang Touring, 1996 Pontiac Firebird WS6 5,7l 6-Gang, 1995 Chevrolet Impala SS 5,7l, 1998 BMW E39 540i 6-Gang 4,4l Limo, 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA Notchback 5-Gang 5,0l, 1990 Chevrolet Corvette C4 5,7l, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4,7l

• I have had normal LED lights in my previous F30 3-series and have adaptive LED lights in my F11 now and did not notice any disadvantage compared to xenon.
    Also there are no purple edges or dark spots... Maybe it's only a matter of adjustment...

• You can't compare the Lumen from LED vs Xenon because LED's are mesasured directly in front of the lens whereas Xenon's are measured in a certain distance to the headlights.

I really don't understand the discussion here. As shown in the video (previous posts of mine) you can measue the brightness with a lumen-meter. A friend of mine is working as photographer and reproduced the measurement in a garage. As said no laboratory environment. But the result was clear.
    5 - 6000 Lumen with Xenon, Above 10.000 with LED. Both mesured like he measures the light for doing photos. Lumen-Meter was palced in 1 meter distance from the headlights. Thats it.

Also there are no purple edges or dark spots... Maybe it's only a matter of adjustment...

I can't see purple edges either.

But I',m out of here. I'm reminded of the discussions I had when Xenon came up. There was lots of people claiming, that they don't like them because of flickering, colour of the light etc. blahblah... It did not take long and they had Xenon by themselves and then were absolutely insisting on the advantages.
    Guys, as said, LED headlights is nothing I would prefer a used car for. But LED is an improvement.

• Guys, thanks for all the helpful info and opinions on this topic! ;) And I'm sure much of it comes down to personal opinions or preferences at the end of the day.

I found a very long discussion on the topic of LED vs. Xenon brightness in a forum for the F30 here:
    https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1230507
    I read through all the comments there, and although some people claimed that LED was brighter, more people seemed to think that Xenon was brighter (for the F30). But it was clear that it's very subjective. However, I reached the conclusion from the comments there, that the LEDs put out more light in the foreground, close to the car, compared to Xenon, but did a worse job of throwing light further away in the distance (with the highbeams) compared to Xenon. Several people made comments along those lines. I wonder if that is a reason why some people see LEDs as being brighter, because the area directly in front of the car is brighter. Of course, the F10 could be different to the F30 in this regard.

In any case, I agree with your comments above that LED vs. Xenon should not be a deciding factor when buying a used F10. Either way, the light output will be quite good, and the High Beam Assistant feature does a good job to prevent the light from shining into the eyes of the other drivers.

With the "selective Highbeam" adaptive Xenon headlights do exactly the same.
    Pre LCI didn't have that feature, only LCI.

As previous speakers have already said, the LCI has adaptive high beam assist. It masks the oncoming traffic and works like a charme, i am very impressed. :)

I'm intrigued about these two comments comparing LCI Xenons with pre-LCI Xenons. I assume that @AltinB1306 and @Florian are both referring to the same thing, in the two quotes above? I've never heard of "adaptive high beam assist" though. I have a copy of the BMW Preisliste (in German) for each year from 2010 to 2015, and they only refer to "Fernlichtassistent". The Preisliste for 2014/2015 (ie. LCI) does not mention anything special like "Adaptive Fernlichtassistent" or anything that sounds like something more advanced than regular Fernlichtassistent. I wonder if you can give more details about that?

I also found this video, where a guy gives a demo of adaptive headlights with highbeam assistant. It looks like he has Xenon lights. It's not clear what kind of BMW he has, though:

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

• In any case, I agree with your comments above that LED vs. Xenon should not be a deciding factor when buying a used F10. Either way, the light output will be quite good, and the High Beam Assistant feature does a good job to prevent the light from shining into the eyes of the other drivers.

I'm intrigued about these two comments comparing LCI Xenons with pre-LCI Xenons. I assume that @AltinB1306 and @Florian are both referring to the same thing, in the two quotes above? I've never heard of "adaptive high beam assist" though. I have a copy of the BMW Preisliste (in German) for each year from 2010 to 2015, and they only refer to "Fernlichtassistent". The Preisliste for 2014/2015 (ie. LCI) does not mention anything special like "Adaptive Fernlichtassistent" or anything that sounds like something more advanced than regular Fernlichtassistent. I wonder if you can give more details about that?

You're on the right track :)

Read the description of the "Fernlichtassistent" and you should be "enlightened" 8o

FLA.JPG

• You're on the right track :)
    Read the description of the "Fernlichtassistent" and you should be "enlightened" 8o

FLA.JPG

I see what you did there... :upi:

So it looks like the name of the feature is the same ("Fernlichtassistent") but the description changed. In the 2010 Preisliste, it says:
    Fernlichtassistent
    automatisches Auf- und Abblenden

In 2014, the word "blendfrei" is added to the title:
    Fernlichtassistent, blendfrei
    Im Umfang Adaptiver LED-Scheinwerfer und Innovationspaket enthalten

And in 2015, "blendfrei" is removed from the title and is included in the description:
    Fernlichtassistent
    BMW Selective Beam (blendfreier Fernlichtassistent)
    Im Umfang Adaptiver LED-Scheinwerfer und Innovationspaket enthalten

Presumably there is no actual difference between 2014 and 2015 - they would both be this more advanced version of the high beam assistant, because they're both the LCI model, I guess.

• Presumably there is no actual difference between 2014 and 2015 - they would both be this more advanced version of the high beam assistant, because they're both the LCI model, I guess.

True. Only the LCI xenons have the advanced selective beam feature. Pre-LCI could only automatically switch between high and low beams without being able to cut out other cars.

• True. Only the LCI xenons have the advanced selective beam feature. Pre-LCI could only automatically switch between high and low beams without being able to cut out other cars.

Got it.

This BMW video describes the High-Beam Assistant feature. At 0:40 seconds it shows that the lights can swivel "by a few degrees" to help avoid shining into the oncoming car. But what the video is describing doesn't appear to be as advanced as how I would understand the advanced Selective Beam feature. Do you think this video is describing the pre-LCI or after-LCI version of High-Beam Assistant?

Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.