Beratung beim Kauf eines 2010 535i

• Bitte entschuldigt mein Englisch..... ;)

I'd love to have some advice or thoughts about buying an F10 from 2010 - the first year of production for this generation.

I saw a video on YouTube that was reviewing the F10 generation, and the reviewer made a brief mention that he would recommend to avoid F10 cars made in the year 2010. In the comments under the video, he explained further:

"I would not recommend buying almost any car from the 1st year of production, so my recommendation is basically about early production cars. When the car makers make a brand new model, then that specific model, from the early production, usually has more problems. It's because of the new/different parts, new technologies, new production methods, maybe new parts suppliers etc. So if some issues occur, then it's mainly during the first years of production. These are usually small problems, but there can be sometimes also bigger problems for example with the engines or gearbox. But during the production time they usually improve / fix these problems."

So he's really talking more in general terms with regards to all car manufacturers, rather than making a specific claim against 2010-year F10 cars.

Nevertheless it made me wonder if there is any truth to his opinion, with regards to the F10 cars in particular?

The reason I wonder this, is because I'm considering to buy a 535i from a German car dealer, which was built in January 2010 (really the very beginning of the generation!). It has lots and lots of advanced extras (Sonderausstattungen) and seems to be in very good condition. It has 158.000 km on the clock, but the engine was replaced at 87.000 km which means the new engine only has 71.000 km.

It has a brand new HU, and the dealer offers to provide a "Zustandsbericht" (from TüV?) upon request.

Assuming that the car has been regularly maintained (which I could confirm once I see the maintenance history), and assuming that the Zustandsbericht would not reveal any problems, is there any reason I should avoid this car because it was made in 2010? Or because it's a turbo, or any other such reason?

Obviously it's always better to buy a newer car than an older car in principle. However I don't have the budget to buy a much newer F10 at this stage. I've seen a few nice-looking 2011/2012 cars that are around the same price, but they don't have all of the optional extras that this particular car has.

Thoughts? :)

• To the topic of "never buy the earliest car of it's build year":
    I had an e39, which was built at the very first year (04/96). There were biiiig differences to the model of 3/97 and much more to the model of 8/98. For examples airbags were different, many ECUs were different, electronic was more basic, etc.

The same is with the F1x. I know many friends with an 2010 F10. No one had any problem till now.
    But if you look into the technical side of the car, there are many differences. For example the dampers of the bonnet are no dampers, but springs (later in 2011 they changed them to dampers). At the co-driver side you have no cigarette lighter in the footroom (which early 2011/late 2010 models have).
    You have no combox (part of navigation), because in that year BMW did not offer it. The airbag ECU is one of the first - from 09/11 there was a new one, which the LCI had too. A Start-/Stopp automatic you have not too, because BMW did not offer it in that year.

The list is long. But all that refferes to people, who want to retrofit smth. If you let the car as it is, there is no problem with that.

Only take into account, that you hardly can ever sell a car of the first gen, because most people look to have at least the second build year.

And as I know the 35i had in the first year a problem with oil consumption, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Do you have a link of the car? :)

• As Altin said, september 2011 the first technical overhaul was done. The car looks the same, but quit some technical improvements were done.

Personally i would prefer a F10 from 9/11 onwards.

Nachrüstungen: ACC, Kollisionswarnung, HUD, SVW, SWW, RFK, Spiegelpaket, Lenkradheizung, 6WA, Automatische Heckklappe, Apps, verschiedene Codierungen...

• Thanks for the advice guys - much appreciated! I think now, that it might be better for me to look for a car made after 9/11, especially if it will be easier to sell again in the future. Plus, the additional improvements are "nice to have".

The car I had been looking at has actually been listed at mobile.de for a few months already, which I thought was a bit strange, considering that it has many optional extras, but maybe it's because it was made in 01/2010 and this makes it less desirable to many buyers, as you suggested.

@Midget, can you kindly tell me what is SVW and 6WA? I'm not familiar with those abbreviations.

• Dachte eigentlich, dass ist ein Deutsches Forum :whistling: . Englischsprachige Foren gibbets genug.

• Okay thanks.

I think 6WA is "Instrumentenkombination mit erweiterten Umfängen" in the price list? It's listed there as a Sonderausstattungen. So it's a more advanced instrument panel than the stock factory version?

SVW = Spurwechselwarnung - got it! :) But this was already available since 2010 - it's listed in the 2010 price list...

• Dachte eigentlich, dass ist ein Deutsches Forum :whistling: . Englischsprachige Foren gibbets genug.

Musst ja nicht antworten.....

Nachrüstungen: ACC, Kollisionswarnung, HUD, SVW, SWW, RFK, Spiegelpaket, Lenkradheizung, 6WA, Automatische Heckklappe, Apps, verschiedene Codierungen...

• Musst ja nicht antworten.....

Darum geht es nicht. Hätte der auf Kongolesisch gefragt würde keiner antworten. Muss schon genug Englisch auf der Arbeit reden weil keiner mehr Deutsch versteht.