Broken timing chain N57D30A engine BMW F11 (2010) please advise replacing oil pump

• Dear Fellow BMW drivers,

Hopefully it is no problem I post this in English because my German isn't so good.

Unfortunately the thing I was hoping for that wouldn't happen happened, my timing chain snapped. It's a BMW F11 530D production end of 2010 with N57d30A engine. I was hearing it a little bit in the morning when the engine was cold (for less than a minute) and the total km of the car is 238,000. After holiday my plan was to check the upper timing chain because my plan was replacing my valve cover gasket because the back was leaking oil. The catastrophe happened when I was driving on the auto Bahn approximately 170km / h when it snapped.

Now the engine is out and the head of the engine is going to be revised.

Now the mechanic which is working on it at the moment told me that it's better to replace the oil pump because these sometimes fail on the n57 engines. And when this happens it's again an engine out job, or a gearbox of job. A new oil pump is approximately 400 euros ( https://www.hubauer-shop.de/en…ump-unit-11417805316.html ). After searching whether this a specific problem of these N57 engines I couldn't find anything. I found a movie on YouTube to test the oil pressure the pump creates ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmFqKpc-vtE ) although the engine then has to be running which of course it isn't doing now .

In short, does anyone know whether it's wise to replacing the oil now? I didn't have any problems with oil pressure before with the car. And companies which change the timing chains on regular base (before it snaps) also don't mention this. Or is this maybe different when the timing chain snaps?

Thanks you all for helping out!

Ps. I found on YouTube a movie of a guy nut job wo has broken is spun bearings possibly after a broken oil pump after repairing a snapped chain.

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

• N57 engines I couldn't find anything. I found a movie on YouTube to test the oil pressure the pump creates (

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.
    ) although the engine then has to be running which of course it isn't doing now .

I have no idea how he comes to over 2 BAR. The BMW specification is 1.2 bar at idle. I have fluctuations up to 0.5 bar at an oil temperature of 100 degrees, I think my pump is also defective.

• Hello

Your mechanic is right, our guess is the oil pump!

Definitely swap with.

Thanks for your answer. You mean the primary problem is the pump? I think the primary problem is the wear and tear of the chain which is a known issue of the engine. That was the reason I was hearing it and thats the reason it failed. I don't think the primary reason is the oil pump or am I missing something?

• Thanks for your answer. You mean the primary problem is the pump? I think the primary problem is the wear and tear of the chain which is a known issue of the engine. That was the reason I was hearing it and thats the reason it failed. I don't think the primary reason is the oil pump or am I missing something?

hi.

bmw replaced the chain with a better version. I think your 2010 builded car had the old one inside.

The new replaced one is better than the old one, so I think there would not be any problems in the future.

Anyway you should order a new oil pump and swap it.

Also it would be nice to swap the bearing shells.....

• hi.

bmw replaced the chain with a better version. I think your 2010 builded car had the old one inside.

The new replaced one is better than the old one, so I think there would not be any problems in the future.

Anyway you should order a new oil pump and swap it.

Also it would be nice to swap the bearing shells.....

Dear Mezmerize thanks for your answer. Is it common for these engines that the oil pump fail after a while because I couldn't a lot of information about this online. In addition companies who change the chains before the snap don't standard replace the pump...?

• Thanks for your answer. You mean the primary problem is the pump? I think the primary problem is the wear and tear of the chain which is a known issue of the engine. That was the reason I was hearing it and thats the reason it failed. I don't think the primary reason is the oil pump or am I missing something?

For you it must have been the burdock, but there are many N57 with connecting rod bearing damage! I think it comes from the oil pump.

• Ok so the advice is to replace it preventive because there are a lot of N57 engines with connecting rod bearing damage, although this is not the primary problem in my case?

Was getting different messages about this online and couldn't find a lot of people with a failing oil pump, so thought maybe not to do this if still looks oke. Especially that it already worked for approximately 240k kms so I was thinking it would still last.

I still don't get the fact that with planned chain replacement it isn't a standard thing they do. Should be something related to extra costs I guess. Or something else?