Clonking sound rear BMW F11 when accelerating

• Kinda hard to say from here, you were there… That clonk on the front Sway Bar Bushing does look suspect though. Sometimes noises can radiate away from the area when you are in the Car and make it difficult to exactly locate… Problem also is those active sway bars are supposed to move a bit.

I have normal suspension on my Car, just lowering springs to keep it simple so little experience. Hoping Smokeyy or others can help more here.

MFG,
    MunichMark
    2014 535XD
    Luxury Line
    Alpinweiss / Mocca
    AC Schnitzer FW 30-30
    Race Chip GTS Black - Eingetragen
    18" Pirelli PZ4 SC
    18” Michelin PA4 Winter

• Morning everybody,

Just a quick update. The car went for MOT and I asked a different garage (number 4) whether they could look into the problem. They where trying to luxate the problem on the lift bridge for two hours. In the end they thought I could be number 10 (Steering arm with rubber bushing) on the left side.

RealOEM.com - Online BMW Parts Catalog

pasted-from-clipboard.png

I ordered a lot of different parts. From the picture above number (4, 10, 13 and 17). So yesterday I replaced part 10 on the left. A lot of work. The bolt wouldn't come loose. I broke two torx bits, heated it up and used an impact tool to get it loose. The old part looked OK to me.

So I torqued the new part down to specs and drove away. And you will all guess. Problem is persisting

Another garage mentioned that it could be number 13 because this is also a joint. The idea was that he couldn’t find the play in the joint because of the pressure that the air suspensions puts on the rear axle. So I removed the air out the air suspensions and tried to find any play in the rear axle but couldn’t find anything even with the air removed.

For this part you need a special tool something like the picture below. But seems a lot of work.

For now I'm completely stuck. Maybe good to mention it's not only the sound but also a feeling that on the left side something is being put in an out plane you feel it especially driving away from standing still pulling the steering wheel first completely to the left and accelerating.

My questions are:

• Does anyone has experience with this kind of symptoms
    • Can it be related to number 13 on a BMW F11. Think they call it a rose bush and found that it sometimes is a problem on older types of BMWs
    • The only play I could find under the car is a little bit of play in the HSR unit. But I don't thinks this is the problem. Or should I replace this part (really expensive)
    • Could it also be a rear axle support rubber mount, although I couldn't find any play here

Hopefully anybody of the experts here as an additional idea where to go from here.

Thanks in advance.

Have a good Sunday!

• Number 13 didn‘t exist on older BMW‘s - instead there where „Integrallenker“ like on the e39. When they faded, the car made a noise like an old bed (rattling when entering the car, the same as when driving over humps).

Didn‘t read the whole thread - but do you feel something in the steering wheel, like it would snap you, or is it only the clonking sound, you want to get rid of?

If it‘s the latter one, then I believe, that it can be n.13 in the picture, as it‘s the same place, where older BMWs made a noise like that.

If it‘s the first one, then there should be other bushings and arms, which are able to do that mysterious clonk

• Dear @AlbinB1306 thanks for your answer!

Zitat

" Number 13 didn‘t exist on older BMW‘s - instead there where „Integrallenker“ like on the e39. When they faded, the car made a noise like an old bed (rattling when entering the car, the same as when driving over humps)."

= this is not the case.

Zitat

" Didn‘t read the whole thread - but do you feel something in the steering wheel, like it would snap you, or is it only the clonking sound, you want to get rid of?

If it‘s the latter one, then I believe, that it can be n.13 in the picture, as it‘s the same place, where older BMWs made a noise like that. If it‘s the first one, then there should be other bushings and arms, which are able to do that mysterious clonk" =

It's a combination of sound and feeling. You feel a clonk especially driving away from low speeds in the left rear. I can luxate the problem putting the steering wheel completely to the left and accelerate fast out of standing still. I tried filming it with a GoPro but can't pinpoint the problem. You can hear it in this movie the best (https://photos.google.com/shar…4T2JPd3dCaXphYzJIckdHb3hR.)

The other garage said that the 'clonk' only could come out of joints and there are only two joints in the back. Number 11 (which I have changed) and number 13. Does anybody think this makes sense?

• Think I will just try to film it again with a GoPro it's such a pronounced feeling that I think it's possible to catch it on camera. Otherwise I'm just replacing random parts without any success :(

• He Guys,

Started filming again because it is such a pronounced feeling there has to be a possibility to catch it with a GoPro before replacing random things.

Number 11: These movies (https://photos.app.goo.gl/TpBHstoKKbCBbsNC6 and https://photos.app.goo.gl/Mji9pfnKnhVpZkAz8) are from bushing number 11. I replaced number 10 but was thinking that maybe there could be play in the HSR unit. You can see the working HSR unit and no play. So I can guess I can rule out is?

Number 16: These movies (https://photos.app.goo.gl/CDru9u99Yj4SiuCk6) are from number 16. There is a little bit of play but doesn’t seem to be the problem I think do you guys agree?

Number 13: These movies (https://photos.app.goo.gl/tUJisFCdTyCNhWyVA) are from number 13. I don’t thinks there is a lot of play here. The most interesting is that you here the sound the most pronounced in this movie (https://photos.app.goo.gl/dVqj3G8SfLNhkWQc7). The GoPro is attached to number 10 to film number 13.

Plan for now is film number 15 and number 9 although 9 is new because I replaced number 10.

Do you guys have any idea where to go from there?

• Well, not much left it seems… Trouble here is it is hard to determine what abnormal play is when you have no reference what normal play looks like… So much movement is supposed to be there by design on active rear steering (ARS).

I assume you turned off ASR and there is no clonking sound ?

MFG,
    MunichMark
    2014 535XD
    Luxury Line
    Alpinweiss / Mocca
    AC Schnitzer FW 30-30
    Race Chip GTS Black - Eingetragen
    18" Pirelli PZ4 SC
    18” Michelin PA4 Winter

• Finally found the problem. It was a complete broken engine mount on the left front side. It felt 100% that it was coming from the back. I thought to share it with you guys maybe somebody else will be helped with the solution.

Thanks for the replies!